[c-nsp] Cisco ASR 9K Vs 7600

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sun Dec 5 03:39:12 EST 2010

On Thursday, December 02, 2010 02:33:52 am Andris Zariņš
wrote:

> - Stick with 7600, as ASR9K
> isnt 'ready' yet. YEa, this might be true .. 9K has
> potential that has to be released, but it hasnt happened
> yet, so it would be wise to wait a while and see what
> happens.
>
> I guess the last argument sounds the most reasonable, at
> least for today.

We've been tracking development on the ASR9000 for a while
now, and while it was relatively new re: edge requirements
back then, it's decently mature now - depending on what you
want to do, of course.

You will be very demanding if you need it in a PE router
role, but as a P, you wouldn't have to worry too much.

Price-wise, it's way better than the 7600, or even the MX-
series (unless Juniper can match the discount levels), and
it's got a pretty good line card compliment now.

We tested typical PE router requirements:

	- IS-IS
	- IPv6
	- QoS
	- MPLS
	- 802.1AX

While a couple of sub-features need to be introduced over
time, base use-cases are sufficiently covered.

Cheers,

Mark.