[c-nsp] MPLS-EXP Marking on 6k PE

cisconsp at SecureObscure.com cisconsp at SecureObscure.com
Tue Dec 7 11:48:33 EST 2010

Good morning list, I have a 6500 (720-3c, 6716) functioning as a PE, and
have a QOS question regarding its label imposition process.

1)       Will a packet entering via a SVI in a VRF (MPLS L3 VPN) have its IP
PREC bits automagically copied into the MPLS-EXP bits, or do I need to apply
an ingress policy map on every PE-CE interface & SVI translating
IP-PREC/DSCP to MPLS-EXP?

2)       Do I need to configure "mls qos trust dscp" on the PE-CE ingress
SVI in a VRF? Or just the switchport? Or Both?

3)       Do I need to configure "mls qos trust something" on the PE-P
interfaces so that MPLS-EXP is respected and not stripped off?

I don't currently use any L2 or L3 QOS on the 6500, and just want the IP
PREC bits marked and passed upstream to the P routers for prioritization in
the core.

Thanks!