[c-nsp] Outbound Load balancing using eBGP

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Dec 23 03:18:04 EST 2010

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 10:33:57PM +0000, RAZ MUHAMMAD wrote:
> I would appreciate if someone can shed some further light on using the
> default route or full routing table scenario while multi homed. In this case
> hardware is not an issue, I am trying to assess the operational,
> differences, or the outcome in terms of traffic patterns.

This very much depends on the ISPs involved, and their view of the
world.

We pretty much do not fiddle with BGP *at all*, since we've choosen our
uplinks in a way that traffic balances pretty much on its own - one of
the uplinks is strong for the european market and has very tight peerings
there, one of the others is strong for USA and Asia, and so traffic
naturally distributes itself.  Bandwidth commitment is then purchased
according to need.

This is something nobody can give you a definite answer - as it depends
on too many local factors (is one of the ISPs more expensive?  faster,
slower?  what is BGP doing if left alone - and why is this not what
you want?).

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de