[c-nsp] 10G for 6506-E with Sup32-8Gb or replace with 4900M

Keegan Holley keegan.holley at sungard.com
Thu Dec 23 09:38:21 EST 2010

I don't think you can do the 1G distribution on the 4900M without converting the 10G interfaces back to dual 1G.  I have heard from others on the list that this severely limits your queue sizes but. Ymmv.  Beating the multi-vendor drum this is a perfect use for the juniper ex4200 series.  I have been giving my cisco se a hard time because they don't have an all fiber stackable with dual power that can do 10G.  The ex will give you 24 fiber ports with 2 10G per switch for about 10k list.  I know this is A cisco list but it's what I'd use.  I have a hunch that they do this by design to force us to buy chassis based switches.

In your situation I'd check when the sup32 goes eos/eol.  You may be dodging a bullet by upgrading to the 720.

Sent from my iPhone