[c-nsp] 10G for 6506-E with Sup32-8Gb or replace with 4900M

Jeff Bacon bacon at walleyesoftware.com
Thu Dec 23 14:28:39 EST 2010

> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 14:05:25 +0000
> From: Holemans Wim <wim.holemans at ua.ac.be>
> To: "cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net" <cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net>
> Subject: [c-nsp] 10G for 6506-E with Sup32-8Gb or replace with
> 4900M
>
> Based on the price, it seems we best opt to replace the 6506-
> E/Sup32 with the 4900M option (there is also a difference in
> maintenance cost). With Twingig convertors this offers us  a
> good combination of 10G and 1G SFP ports. For 7500$ we can add
> a second 8 port X2 board that gives us extra 10G/SFP-ports if
> needed.

Note - you can't use twingig converters in the base 10G ports of a 4900M
- you have to buy the 8-port X2 half-card if you want to use the twingig
converters.

(you say 10/100/1000 card so I am guessing you intended to use a copper
gig half-card in the first slot.)

I have a handful of 4900Ms, they work fine pushing fair amounts of
traffic at multi-gig rate (they're in place handling the first-level
uplinks from my TOR 4948-10Gs). I don't do anything terribly fancy with
'em, but they seem as solid as the rest of the 4900s. DOM works nicely
with 12.2(54)SG, finally.