[c-nsp] Console server

Garry gkg at gmx.de
Thu Dec 30 15:16:24 EST 2010

On 30.12.2010 21:02, Jay Nakamura wrote:
> Do anyone have recommendation on console server?  I have about 10
> devices per location I want console port connected for remote access
> in case of emergency.  I don't need a modem or cell card or anything.
> IP/Ethernet access, preferably able to ssh into it plus web access
> will be nice.(Web access that doesn't lock you down to IE)  I was
> looking at Avocent but getting feedbak on actual field experience is
> so much more reliable than reading through specs and marketing
> garbage.
Try picking up some used 2511 routers ... they work fine, and with 16
ports, you'd still have a couple ports to spare ... just used the old
blue rollover-cables to connect to the other devices ... upside is
they're cheap, reliable, low-power usage, only single RU. Downside, only
rather old IOS versions are available, so no SSH or web interface.

-garry