[c-nsp] Nexus 2000 vs Catalyst 4948 for access layer

Brad Hedlund brhedlun at cisco.com
Wed Feb 3 14:23:38 EST 2010

That is correct. The Nexus 2000 can be connected to two Nexus 5000's with an active/active virtual port channel (vPC).
However, if you do that, you cannot (yet) connect the Server to the Nexus 2000's with an active/active 802.3ad LACP NIC team.
You can obviously use active/standby teaming, or, active/active transmit load balancing (TLB) with active/standby receive.

If your Nexus 2000's are each singly homed to a single Nexus 500 like this:

N2K1------>N5K1
N2K2------>N5K2

then you CAN connect the Server to both N2K's with an active/active 802.3ad LACP team:

        N2K1------>N5K1
Server<             ||
LACP    N2K2------>N5K2

This architecture provides active/active with redundancy from the network through to the server.

Check out this link for more info on how that's done:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps9670/configuration_guide_c07-543563.html

--
Brad Hedlund, CCIE #5530
Consulting Systems Engineer, Data Center
bhedlund at cisco.com
http://www.internetworkexpert.org