[c-nsp] Nexus 2000 vs Catalyst 4948 for access layer

Manu Chao linux.yahoo at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 10:13:59 EST 2010

No

AFAIK vPC is already available on N5K/N2K, active/active with FEX should
be possible:

 Cisco Nexus 5000 NX-OS Software Rel 4.1(3)N2(1)

"A virtual port channel (vPC) allows links that are physically connected to
two different Cisco Nexus 5000 Series switches or Cisco Nexus 2000 Series
Fabric Extenders to appear as a single port channel by a third device (see
the following figure). The third device can be a switch, server, or any
other networking device. Beginning with Cisco NX-OS Release 4.1(3)N1(1), you
can configure vPCs in topologies that include Cisco Nexus 5000
Seriesswitches connected to the Fabric
Extender. A vPC can provide multipathing, which allows you to create
redundancy by enabling multiple parallel paths between nodes and load
balancing traffic where alternative paths exist"

R/
Manu