[c-nsp] Best practice - Core vs Access Router

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Tue Feb 9 09:13:08 EST 2010

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010, Andy B. wrote:

> I am running one 6509 as a core router:
>
> IOS: SXF15a
> 1x WS-SUP720-3BXL
> 1x WS-X6748-GE-TX
> 2x WS-X6704-10GE
>
> On this core I am doing BGP with 2 upstreams (full BGP table IN) and
> 10 downstreams (full BGP table OUT).
> I am also doing OSPF with 4 other core routers in this AS.
>
> On top of that there is one VLAN on this core that serves as a default
> gateway for approximatively 5000 servers, producing around 30 GBps
> outbound traffic and 10 GBps inbound.

If all of that traffic is transiting between the 6748 and 6704s, is it
possible you're filling (perhaps overfilling) the 40Gbps fabric the 6748
has to the rest of the chassis during short traffic spikes?

With that much going on, I'm surprised you're using a single 6509 vs
having things split between a pair or more of them.  Put some transit and
some customers on each...that way if one has an issue, needs a software
upgrade, etc., you can do a reload without the network going completely
offline.  Or are you already doing that, and the troubled 6509 is just one
of multiple?