[c-nsp] Best practice - Core vs Access Router

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Feb 9 12:56:34 EST 2010

On 09/02/10 17:39, Church, Charles wrote:
> I was going by the 'show proc cpu hist' he gave for both the SP and RP.
> Both looked pretty bad across the board.

His graphs don't look that dis-similar to mine, and we have no such
problems. The peak/avg CPU don't look so unreasonable to me given the
load and setup he's described.

To summarise in this thread, it has been suggested:

  1. Netflow is the problem - to which the OP said he's already tried
disabling it

  2. CPU punts, specifically gleans, are the problem - in which case
CoPP or MLS rate limiters can be tried, but the OP really IMHO needs to
confirm this with a span of the CPU

  3. The 6500 is just no good buy a juniper or asr1k (!) which I
strongly dispute. It may be awkward and have odd limits, but it OUGHT TO
HANDLE the load we've been told about; therefore something is wrong

...and lots more besides. I'm exhausted from following the thread, but
my advice to the OP is to determine what is hitting the CPU *during an
outage*, then proceed from there.

I'm going to stop reading now.