[c-nsp] Nexus 2000 vs Catalyst 4948 for access layer

Livio Zanol Puppim livio.zanol.puppim at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 20:18:00 EST 2010

Brad,

Can’t I make “the cloud” with traditional switches (4948 for example)? As
I’ve said before, my only concern is that I’ll loose A LOT of access ports
on Nexus 5000 that could be used by servers with 10GE/FCoE. Again, the only
reasons you are giving me to use this design is “management facility” and
vPC.

So, putting it in a balance I see more losses than benefits. What’s the big
problem on connecting to another device to manage it? Is this really a big
loss? It’ll take 5 minutes more to make a service. I don’t think that this
is the best benefit of this design. I would really appreciate to have all
switches of the same series managed by the same program (cisco DCNM),
unfortunally I think we are going the other way. Loosing 20 access
interfaces, isn’t a good option for me…

I’m not talking about a huge datacenter. I will only need 10 1G switch for
the next years, so “big L2 domain” for me isn’t to much trouble. If you
could explain better this problem maybe I change my mind…

I’m expecting that 10G(with FCoE) will dominate the servers design, so my
loss will be huge. I’ll maintain 1Gbps only for backward compatibility (10
years? hehehe).

If Nexux 2000 could be attached directly to an Nexus 7000 (it is not quite
difficult to make that works) the deisgn would perfect fit for our needs…

2010/2/10 Jason Plank <jmplank at gmail.com>

> Brad,
>
> You just made a terrible assumption. :)
>
> Jason
>
> >> Then you should post from your gmail account.
> >
> > What difference would that make? We're all adults here.
> >

> > Cheers,
> > Brad
> >

> > --
> > Brad Hedlund, CCIE #5530
> > Technology Solutions Architect, Data Center
> > bhedlund at cisco.com
> > http://www.internetworkexpert.org

> --
> --