[c-nsp] High CPU a issue for voice traffic?

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Thu Feb 11 21:51:07 EST 2010

On 2/11/10 1:28 AM, Junks2you wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Currently we were hitting some high CPU issue. One of the 6509 with SUP720 standing in the core hiked to 96% percent very randomly in the past 72 hours or even longer. Write memory, SNMP, software switching could be the cause, we don't know yet. Everything seems working fine now. Although it now gets to normal level, am wondering if it could affect the voice calls (handled by Call manager 7) while the CPU usage reaches above 90%. Since we are not able to simulate this issue, I just hope it wouldn't be a 'bomb' there. Simply speaking, is high CPU utilisation a issue affecting voice traffic passing through this core switch?

yes and no..if your RP CPU gets to the point your control plane comes
down all transit traffic will be impacted. You need to make sure you
have the appropriate CoPP and mls rate limiters enabled.

If the traffic is hardware switched 'distributed in 'sh int stat'  the
high cpu on the RP is ok in short spikes....if it's high much you need
to figure out why.

Rodney