[c-nsp] SUP720-3BXL "Warning: NVRAM size is 0"

Aaron Glenn aaron.glenn at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 19:41:54 EST 2010

Greets,

In what's unfortunately become a common theme, I'm staring down a
SUP720-3BXL that will not boot. After copying an up-to-date SXH IOS
image to sup-bootdisk ("The Kid" didn't ship pc cards) and a reload, I
am getting a "Warning: NVRAM size is 0" and subsequent TLB exceptions
on boot. The only real scrap of information I've been able to find is
a relatively old CSC[1] explaining some early versions of WS-SUP720
suffer from a busted crystal oscillator. I've confirmed that this
board's serial numbers and hw revisions do not fall under this field
notice, yet I'm getting exactly the same behavior as described.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to resuscitate this thing or
additional steps to verify it is indeed a faulty hardware issue.

Thanks,
Aaron

[1] http://www.ciscosystems.com/en/US/ts/fn/200/fn27595.html