[c-nsp] Best practice - Core vs Access Router

Andy B. globichen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 14:52:55 EST 2010

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 2:19 PM, Tom Sands <tsands at rackspace.com> wrote:
> The 6704 looks like the biggest problem in this setup.  We avoid them at all
> cost.

What would be your recommendation then? 6708?

sidenote: I may have narrowed down the issue. There is a port-channel
on te9/4 and te8/4. When I shut down one of these two interfaces, the
box is becoming very responsive again:

BCS#sh etherchannel 66 detail
Group state = L2
Ports: 2   Maxports = 8
Port-channels: 1 Max Port-channels = 1
Protocol:   PAgP
Minimum Links: 0
                Ports in the group:
                -------------------
Port: Te8/4
------------

Port state    = Down Not-in-Bndl
Channel group = 66          Mode = Desirable-Sl     Gcchange = 0
Port-channel  = null        GC   = 0x00000000          Pseudo
port-channel = Po66
Port index    = 0           Load = 0x00        Protocol =   PAgP

Flags:  S - Device is sending Slow hello.  C - Device is in Consistent state.
        A - Device is in Auto mode.        P - Device learns on physical port.
        d - PAgP is down.
Timers: H - Hello timer is running.        Q - Quit timer is running.
        S - Switching timer is running.    I - Interface timer is running.

Local information:
                                Hello    Partner  PAgP     Learning  Group
Port      Flags State   Timers  Interval Count   Priority   Method  Ifindex
Te8/4     d     U1/S1           1s       0        128        Any      0

Age of the port in the current state: 5d:11h:50m:10s

Port: Te9/4
------------

Port state    = Up Mstr In-Bndl
Channel group = 66          Mode = Desirable-Sl     Gcchange = 0
Port-channel  = Po66        GC   = 0x00420001          Pseudo
port-channel = Po66
Port index    = 1           Load = 0xFF        Protocol =   PAgP

Flags:  S - Device is sending Slow hello.  C - Device is in Consistent state.
        A - Device is in Auto mode.        P - Device learns on physical port.
        d - PAgP is down.
Timers: H - Hello timer is running.        Q - Quit timer is running.
        S - Switching timer is running.    I - Interface timer is running.

Local information:
                                Hello    Partner  PAgP     Learning  Group
Port      Flags State   Timers  Interval Count   Priority   Method  Ifindex
Te9/4     SC    U6/S7           30s      1        128        Any      122

Partner's information:

          Partner              Partner          Partner         Partner Group
Port      Name                 Device ID        Port       Age  Flags   Cap.
Te9/4     XXXX                 0021.a050.d600   Te4/2       18s SC      420001

Age of the port in the current state: 0d:00h:05m:49s

                Port-channels in the group:
                ----------------------

Port-channel: Po66
------------

Age of the Port-channel   = 5d:11h:52m:22s
Logical slot/port   = 14/4          Number of ports = 1
GC                  = 0x00420001      HotStandBy port = null
Port state          = Port-channel Ag-Inuse
Protocol            =   PAgP
Fast-switchover     = disabled
Load share deferral = disabled

Ports in the Port-channel:

Index   Load      Port          EC state       No of bits
 1      FF          Te9/4       Desirable-Sl   8

Time since last port bundled:    0d:00h:05m:49s    Te9/4
Time since last port Un-bundled: 0d:00h:05m:06s    Te8/4

Last applied Hash Distribution Algorithm: Fixed

This is while Te8/4 is shut down.

The other end of the channel is also a 6509 box with 1x 6704.

Andy