[c-nsp] Best practice - Core vs Access Router

Tom Sands tsands at rackspace.com
Thu Feb 18 07:47:56 EST 2010

Andy B. wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 2:19 PM, Tom Sands <tsands at rackspace.com> wrote:
>> The 6704 looks like the biggest problem in this setup.  We avoid them at all
>> cost.
>

> What would be your recommendation then? 6708?

Absolutely, while a 2:1 card the buffers are far greater.  Also,
depending on your use of it, having a DFC/DFCXL can be of great benefit.

> sidenote: I may have narrowed down the issue. There is a port-channel
> on te9/4 and te8/4. When I shut down one of these two interfaces, the
> box is becoming very responsive again:

I would be very interested in knowing if this problem is truly resolved
and what the suspected problem/resolution was by breaking this port
channel. Since these are 6704 cards they use CFC's vs DFC's, where a
problem such as above would of made more sense if it were actually using
DFC's and the ingress of the traffic was on the same line card as the
egress of only one of the ports in the channel.

> [...]
> Port-channel  = null        GC   = 0x00000000          Pseudo
> port-channel = Po66
> Port index    = 0           Load = 0x00        Protocol =   PAgP
>
> Flags:  S - Device is sending Slow hello.  C - Device is in Consistent state.
>         A - Device is in Auto mode.        P - Device learns on physical port.
>         d - PAgP is down.
> Timers: H - Hello timer is running.        Q - Quit timer is running.
>         S - Switching timer is running.    I - Interface timer is running.
>
> Local information:
>                                 Hello    Partner  PAgP     Learning  Group
> Port      Flags State   Timers  Interval Count   Priority   Method  Ifindex
> Te8/4     d     U1/S1           1s       0        128        Any      0
>
> Age of the port in the current state: 5d:11h:50m:10s
>
> Port: Te9/4
> ------------
>
> Port state    = Up Mstr In-Bndl
> Channel group = 66          Mode = Desirable-Sl     Gcchange = 0
> Port-channel  = Po66        GC   = 0x00420001          Pseudo
> port-channel = Po66
> Port index    = 1           Load = 0xFF        Protocol =   PAgP
>
> Flags:  S - Device is sending Slow hello.  C - Device is in Consistent state.
>         A - Device is in Auto mode.        P - Device learns on physical port.
>         d - PAgP is down.
> Timers: H - Hello timer is running.        Q - Quit timer is running.
>         S - Switching timer is running.    I - Interface timer is running.
>
> Local information:
>                                 Hello    Partner  PAgP     Learning  Group
> Port      Flags State   Timers  Interval Count   Priority   Method  Ifindex
> Te9/4     SC    U6/S7           30s      1        128        Any      122
>
> Partner's information:
>
>           Partner              Partner          Partner         Partner Group
> Port      Name                 Device ID        Port       Age  Flags   Cap.
> Te9/4     XXXX                 0021.a050.d600   Te4/2       18s SC      420001
>
> Age of the port in the current state: 0d:00h:05m:49s
>
>                 Port-channels in the group:
>                 ----------------------
>
> Port-channel: Po66
> ------------
>
> Age of the Port-channel   = 5d:11h:52m:22s
> Logical slot/port   = 14/4          Number of ports = 1
> GC                  = 0x00420001      HotStandBy port = null
> Port state          = Port-channel Ag-Inuse
> Protocol            =   PAgP
> Fast-switchover     = disabled
> Load share deferral = disabled
>
> Ports in the Port-channel:
>
> Index   Load      Port          EC state       No of bits
>  1      FF          Te9/4       Desirable-Sl   8
>
> Time since last port bundled:    0d:00h:05m:49s    Te9/4
> Time since last port Un-bundled: 0d:00h:05m:06s    Te8/4
>
> Last applied Hash Distribution Algorithm: Fixed
>

> This is while Te8/4 is shut down.
>
> The other end of the channel is also a 6509 box with 1x 6704.

at abuse at rackspace.com, and delete the original message.
Your cooperation is appreciated.