[c-nsp] Load-sharing with two links to the same ISP

Matthew Melbourne matt at melbourne.org.uk
Fri Feb 19 21:19:15 EST 2010

On looking at this again, it appears that BGP Multipath only works
when the eBGP sessions are terminated on the same box.

The scenario here is two eBGP session to the same ISP, but terminating
on two different customer edge routers (with an iBGP session between
them). In the lab tests I've done, I can see the two entries in the
BGP table (one learned via the directly connected eBGP neighbour and
one learned through iBGP (from the other eBGP session on the other
router), but only the best path (via the eBGP link) gets entered into
the RIB.

There is a command "maximum-paths eibgp" to load-share across eBGP and
iBGP paths, but this is limited to connections within an MPLS VPN, and
not the global routing table.. Maybe the outbound load-sharing will
occur naturally through the IGP, and dynamic default routing (i.e. the
closest exit point)? Alternatively, another possibility may be to
arbitrarily prefer one link for some traffic, using AS paths or prefix
lists together with NetFlow data, as a 'first cut' and then optimise
over time.

Cheers,

Matt

Matthew Melbourne