[c-nsp] 6500 SVI Question

Pavel Skovajsa pavel.skovajsa at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 15:01:16 EST 2010

Hi Paul,

All virtual interfaces have "bandwidth" that has nothing to do with
real number of bytes per second that can flow through the link, For
example:

- all VSI interfaces have by default bandwidth of: "MTU 1500 bytes, BW
1000000 Kbit, DLY 10 usec,", even tough the real interfaces "behind"
are 10/half.... One way to explain this is that 10 years ago, in the
time of hybrid Catalysts, the switching part of Catalyst (SP) was
autonomous and consisted of real interfaces, and the routing MSFC part
(RP) consisted of only SVIs.

- all  tunnel interface have default "bandwidth" of 8000kb, which is
tricky way of saying to the routing protocol to not to prefer the
route over the tunnel and use it only as last resort

Also, all serial interface have default bandwidth of 1024kb, eventough
they might be fractional T1's or anything else.

-pavel skovajsa