[c-nsp] Comparision between Cisco and Juniper Data Center Switches

Devin Kinch devinkinch at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 19:12:50 EST 2010

Current Nexus 2148T doesn't support Etherchannel in the strictest sense (you
can do 2 port vPC down to the servers) or 100BASE-T.  They are strictly
1000BASE-T only -- this may bite you if you need 100BASE-T management ports,
etc.  Also keep in mind that the fabric extenders do not even perform L2
switching.  They are just Ethernet Host Virtualizers, which means they mux
all traffic up to the 5ks for processing.  And the N5ks do not support L3.
 There are many limitations.

But, if you need the SAN, virtualization, or 802.1ae features, there is no
comparison.  I would wait until late spring when the next model of N2k comes
out (should have proper Etherchannel, 100BASE-T, actual features, etc), and
then go Cisco.  Also NX-OS 5.0 is coming out soon too, and has a lot of
great features:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/iosswrel/ps9494/ps9372/product_bulletin_c25-577133.html

I mean, how cool is OTV?

Devin Kinch