[c-nsp] Finding the serial numbers of cisco devices

David Barak thegameiam at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 7 06:29:50 EST 2010

Hi, please help me. I am having approximately hundreds of cisco routers
and switches. i want to find out the serial numbers for AMC. can anybody
help me how to find out in a single stretch.

+1 for using an SNMP tool to automatically gather this.  Rancid, Netbrain, or the other tool of your choice.

One note: if you have a 7200 router, the SN that the router will report is NOT the one you want - you want a number that starts with a 7, and is on a sticky label on the back of the router.  To the best of my knowledge there isn't a way to pull that from the router remotely if you didn't add it in (using snmp-server chassis-id or the like).  Other than that, the automated tools are definitely the way to go.

David Barak
Need Geek Rock? Try The Franchise:
http://www.listentothefranchise.com