[c-nsp] Finding the serial numbers of cisco devices

chip chip.gwyn at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 11:15:57 EST 2010

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 4:07 AM, ambedkar <p_ambedkar at rediffmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, please help me. I am having approximately hundreds of cisco routers
> and switches. i want to find out the serial numbers for AMC. can anybody
> help me how to find out in a single stretch.
>
> Thanks, bye.

As you work through your gear you'll notice different versions of IOS can
give slightly different answers to the same questions, whether you use 'show
inventory' or snmp poll for entPhysicalDescr, entPhysicalSerialNum, or
entPhysicalModelName.  You're also going to have a difficult time with the
old AS-2511rj console servers and the smaller 1900/2900 style switches.

If you have an all Cisco shop, you can download an eval version of their
tool to automate this:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/cscowork/ps2073/index.html
Requires a CCO account and a win2008 or solaris server.

--chip

--
Just my $.02, your mileage may vary,  batteries not included, etc....