[c-nsp] IRB and channel-group help needed

Steven Pfister SPfister at dps.k12.oh.us
Thu Jan 7 12:12:11 EST 2010

I've got a 8540 switch running 12.1(20)E set up with IRB and I've got two interfaces I'm looking at:

interface GigabitEthernet0/0/3
 no ip address
 no ip redirects
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/0/3.1
 description Native VLAN
 encapsulation dot1Q 1 native
 no ip redirects
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/0/3.99
 encapsulation dot1Q 99
 no ip redirects
 no cdp enable
 bridge-group 99

The other interface is Gigabit0/0/4 and is set up the exact same way. I'd like to be able to set up a channel group for those two interfaces. I set up the port channel like:

interface Port-channel1
 no ip address
 hold-queue 300 in
!
interface Port-channel1.1
 encapsulation dot1Q 1 native
 no ip redirects
!
interface Port-channel1.99
 encapsulation dot1Q 99
 no ip redirects
 bridge-group 99

But if I apply it to one of the interfaces, I get an error: "Error: Interface has sub-interface configured". I can take the subinterfaces off temporarily and set up the channel-group, but it I try and re-add the subinterfaces, I can't do that. Is this something that is possible? If so, what am I missing?

Steve Pfister
Technical Coordinator,
The Office of Information Technology
Dayton Public Schools