[c-nsp] NPE-G1 cant read Compact Flash

Joe Maimon jmaimon at ttec.com
Fri Jan 8 11:37:51 EST 2010

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_Flash

To workaround the original issue, an IO Controller was installed, which
works very nicely. Only downside is having different serial/aux ports.

nvram stays the same.
bootflash stays the same.
slot[01]/disk[01] become available
more ethernet ports become available
No bandwidth points are consumed so nothing needs to change slots.

Not a bad arrangement.

Interestingly enough, we did see an issue with a variant of CF flash
that caused the boothelper, an older 12.3 image, to crash while booting
with that CF in the IO controller, even as a fully booted IOS had no
issue reading,writing,formatting it.

A slightly older CF worked fine. An upgraded boothelper probably would
have also solved the issue.

The CF slot on the NPE-G1 (disk2:) seems to be toast.

Joe