[c-nsp] BGP Peer Group drawbacks???

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Sat Jan 9 22:04:39 EST 2010

Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 09, 2010 at 11:31:47PM +0000, Bob Arthurs wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> A colleague recently told me not to use BGP peer groups because he
>> insists that there a drawbacks to using them.
>>
>> Does anyone know of any drawbacks to peer groups????
>>
>> I dug the following up on the Cisco website:
>>
>> "Cisco IOS Software Releases earlier than 11.1(18)CC have the
>
> 1998 called, it wants its release notes back. The modern version you
> should be using instead of peer groups is bgp templates:

...What...? ...Why?

At what scale should one consider dumping peer-group? When should one
switch to templates? How about a mix of groups AND templates?

Please have 1998 call me and let me know that my peer groups aren't
working for me.

Unless 1998 can provide many valid reasons and an automated strategy,
why are you recommending such a blind fix?

imho, this is NOT what the OP needed to hear. You don't even know what
IOS ver he's using.

Steve