[c-nsp] BGP Peer Group drawbacks???

Kenny Sallee kenny.sallee at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 00:42:01 EST 2010

> > 1998 called, it wants its release notes back. The modern version you
> > should be using instead of peer groups is bgp templates:
>
> ...What...? ...Why?
>
> At what scale should one consider dumping peer-group? When should one
> switch to templates? How about a mix of groups AND templates?

Seems to me that peer/session templates would allow you to get more granular
with your BGP configuration then peer-groups due to
their inheritance feature.  So it makes sense to me.

I don't think scale is the only deciding factor between peer group and
templates.  I think it also depends on the complexity of your routing policy
and # of prefix's etc...I guess a question could be - why wouldn't you use
templates - even for a simple BGP config?  Any ISP ops on the list - do you
use templates, peer-groups - or both?

To the original poster - perhaps you can decide for yourself?  See here:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_0s/feature/guide/s_bgpct.html#wp1027129
and
a good explanation here with configurations
http://cciethebeginning.wordpress.com/2009/01/09/358/