[c-nsp] BGP Peer Group drawbacks???

Arie Vayner (avayner) avayner at cisco.com
Mon Jan 11 04:29:09 EST 2010

I think this would provide a comprehensive overview:

Peer-Groups are a relatively old feature which was introduced to provide
two functions:
- Reduce BGP configuration by creating a "template" which can be
reapplied to multiple peers
- Reduce CPU workload for BGP updates, as all members in a peer-group
had the same egress policy, so an update had to be computed only once

As combining both functionalities into a single feature is a bit
restrictive (you have to have (mostly) the same config for all peers)
then this was basically split up:
- Dynamic Update Groups are built on the fly for BGP peers with similar
update (output) policies. This allows for CPU load reduction.
- Templates are used to build config templates to reduce configuration
complexity/clutter.

Arie