[c-nsp] OT - Infoblox vs. Bluecat

Mishka, Jason Jason.Mishka at UToledo.Edu
Fri Jan 15 16:38:29 EST 2010

We inherited a cluster of Bluecat Adonis boxes a few years ago during a
merger.  They were terrible.  I've never seen an application so poorly
written that ran something as simple and dns and dhcp.

I'll can tell three stores....

On one particular occasion we were applying updates to apply new tz
information as DST was changing by a few weeks.  I called for support
since everything was running slow and basically got blamed for waiting
too long to apply the patches.  Apparently they didn't have enough
capacity to handle the load since the patches were time sensitive.

We also had a number problems with dynamic DNS.  The machines were
configured in a cluster which would fail from time to time for no
reason.  When this happened the DHCPID or txt records for the dynamic
client would get lost and the clients wouldn't be able to update their
own record later.

Lastly, if the client and appliances were running different version of
code the client could corrupt the config while applying changes.  A
number of time, we had other admins update to the latest client without
knowing that the server had to match.  Unfortunately, the thing wasn't
smart enough to check the client version and throw an error.

We moved back to a few redhat boxes and haven't had any trouble since.
I'd recommend against a bluecat appliance based on our experience.

Jason Mishka