[c-nsp] OT - Infoblox vs. Bluecat

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Sat Jan 16 00:52:01 EST 2010

We've been using Bluecat for several years in a SP environment primarily for
DHCP and we've had a tough go of it, with the product, people, and support
(contact me off-list for more detail).  Based on our experience, I think
it's a better fit in an enterprise environment with a single DHCP/DNS
administrator.  A few months ago I had a web-based presentation and demo of
the Infoblox product and would probably buy their product the next time.

In regards to IPv6 support, this is from the BlueCat's Adonis v6.0.1 release
notes:
- DNS Service is not supported on XHA in IPv6 networks.
- Cannot configure an IPv6 address on an NIC.
When I asked about DHCPv6, this was the tech support person's response:
"What do you mean by DHCPv6?"  And this coming from a DHCP/DNS appliance
vendor.  When I pointed them to the Wikipedia article, they came back and
said they don't support it.  When I asked for an ETA, they wrote back "I am
sorry, but I don't have any ETA."  I then asked if the support DNS over
IPv6, and they wrote back "I am sorry but, we don't support DNS over IPv6."
So unless things have changed drastically from late October, it would appear
that BlueCat's claims for IPv6 support are false.

Frank