[c-nsp] BGP Hold time expired/ospf dropping 6500 Sup720-3BXL

Andy B. globichen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 19:28:37 EST 2010

Hi,

I just fell over this thread while doing a little reseach to solve a
similar situation.

Hardware:

- 6509 with SUP720-3BXL on both ends
- SXF15a
- Uptime: 46 weeks

Problem:

- OSPF (for the loopback between cores) and BGP (mostly customers whom
we send the full table) going up and down all the time:

%OSPF-5-ADJCHG: Process 1, Nbr x.x.x.130 on TenGigabitEthernet4/1 from
FULL to DOWN, Neighbor Down: Dead timer expired
%OSPF-5-ADJCHG: Process 1, Nbr x.x.x.131 on TenGigabitEthernet9/1 from
%BGP-5-ADJCHANGE: neighbor y.y.y.14 Down BGP Notification sent
%BGP-3-NOTIFICATION: sent to neighbor y.y.y.14 4/0 (hold time expired) 0 bytes
%BGP-5-ADJCHANGE: neighbor y.y.y.14 Up

This keeps going on for several hours, and suddenly it stabilizes itself.

Furthermore I use cacti to generate graphs from the core router via
SNMP. I have one VLAN that has around 15 GBPS traffic at peak times,
and as soon as I hit more than 15 GBPS, no more graphs are drawn, core
router console becomes rather unresponsive and OSPF starts to behave
strangely.

What I can rule out is the fiber capacity. I have multiple circuits
and different paths and operators. The OSPF issue happens on all
circuits, not just a specific one. No 10 GE link is used more than
60%. In fact, traffic from inside my backbone to any place outside
remains unaffected (thank God), but the core router itself is pretty
useless. Pinging the core's loopback or any ip loaded on that box
results in a 40-60% packet loss.

CPU usage is not high, it's stable. No unusual processes, just IP
Input and BGP Scanner. More than 50% memory is still free at that
time.

I've had this many times recently, but it really just happens when my
core goes beyond +- 15 GBPS of traffic (outbound). We've been below 15
GBPS for 2 years and it never happaned at that time. Now all this mess
happens almost daily, rendering important billing graphs useless and
annoying full table BGP customers.

Is this a memory issue, due to the router's long uptime? Would
reloading the router help in this case? That's the last thing I would
want to do, but if it helps...

Cheers,

Andy