[c-nsp] cisco-nsp Digest, Vol 86, Issue 71

Christopher J. Wargaski wargo1 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 14:16:54 EST 2010

Good day--

   QoS over the Internet is not reliable. If you set the QoS bits in
the IP header on your side, they most likely will be cleared as soon
as the pass from one carrier to another. If you have the same carrier
from end to end, you must confirm that the carrier will honor the QoS
settings and not clear them.

      ASA 7.X code does not have the ability to set QoS bits, only to
honor them when forwarding. A Cisco router can certainly set the bits.
However, even if you apply QoS on your equipment, you will not gain
much. Traffic that is coming from the Internet to your equipment will
not be controlled by any QoS policy.

cjw