[c-nsp] 4900M vs. 4503 for core

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Jan 27 21:19:07 EST 2010

On Thursday 28 January 2010 07:30:38 am Jeff Bacon wrote:

> You could probably use a pair of 3560Gs for your core and
>  get away with it, without having to spend any real
>  money. I wouldn't actually stack the cores - too easy
>  for one to take out the other via the stack cable... but
>  that's a personal preference.

I tend to agree with this one - stacking (using proprietary
technologies) core switches could get risky when things get
hairy. Besides, how much can you stack before a chassis
makes sense, and not just in ports?

I've used 3560G's as core switches in relatively small PoP's
(pushing about 1Gbps or more with LACP). They're solid!

> If you _need_ to buy now once and for all, then you've
>  got a problem. But if you don't, don't.

Agree.

If you're not averse to other vendors, you could consider
Juniper's EX3200's and EX4200's as well.

Cheers,

Mark.