[c-nsp] MPLS VPN Running BGP w/ failover IPSec VPN Over Internet

Ivan Pepelnjak ip at ioshints.info
Thu Jan 28 01:27:25 EST 2010

OK, it looks like I've over-engineered the solution ;)

The best solution (if you can make it work) would be to run BGP over the backup links and use BGP attributes to make backup links a less desirable BGP path.

Running OSPF on backup links and BGP on MPLS VPN can be made to work ... barely. I did a workshop once using almost exactly the same network. Each site was fully redundant with two routers, one connected to Internet, the other one to MPLS VPN network. I was able to make it work after a lot of tweaking and two-way redistribution, but I'm not sure anyone in the audience got all the details ;)

Your situation might be easier as you're using default routing from the central site, but do try to go for "BGP everywhere".

Ivan Pepelnjak
blog.ioshints.info / www.ioshints.info