[c-nsp] MPLS VPN Running BGP w/ failover IPSec VPN Over Internet

Kenny Sallee kenny.sallee at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 01:59:23 EST 2010

Why not an IGP on the backup link, BGP over MPLS, and eBGP peer from your
'MPLS' router to your core network? All of your MPLS routes will be eBGP w/
admin of 20 and depending on what IGP you choose it'll have a higher admin
distance.  Normal ops BGP routes are preferred.  If MPLS goes away IGP route
will be there.

I have something like this setup in a lab and planned for production soon.
 Works great

Or - if you can't run BGP on your core (code versions don't support BGP for
example) - run BGP over MPLS and GRE only.  Redistro BGP into whatever IGP
and tweak the metrics on redistro so backup link looks worse.  If EIGRP
tweak the seed metrics.  If OSPF you can use a route-map to set the OSPF
route-type to E1 for primary and  E2 for backup. I wouldn't do mutual
redistro - use network statements in BGP to originate your routes over MPLS
and GRE.  Makes it a little easier / less error prone methinks.

Kenny