[c-nsp] IPV6 again

Alan Buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Fri Jan 29 14:09:37 EST 2010

Hi,
> OK so looking at/listening to various recommendations, when allocating IPV6 addresses, stateless auto-configuration with DHCPv6 used to dish out the DNS servers and domain looks the most appealing. Since the IOS version we are using on our 6500s doesn't support IPV6 DHCP relaying (12.2(18)SXF13) I tried to set up a test using the 6500 itself to serve the DNS and domain information but I cannot get it to work. When I use the following configuration the clients are configured with appropriate v6 IPs and can get out into the IPV6 Internet, but no DNS or domain information is received. Turning on "debug ipv6 DHCP" yields no entries in the log at all for either an iMac or an XP laptop: am I missing some configuration?

DHCPv6 and stateless configuration are pretty much still very messy right now.
yes, DHCPv6 would be a direct replacement for clients on the v6 landscape but
not many clients support it....

worse, stateless configuration, whilst in a way elegant, hardly anything gets
handed over to it....eg DNS or NTP information . theres also no way to hand over
any encrpytion or seed things eg for SeND - we've been in chats with people
about getting some nice extensions into the stateless RFC - it'd be good/useful
to have these things sorted.

..now...what are those IPv6 youtube addresses, I've got an hour to burn ;-)
alan