[c-nsp] IPV6 again

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Jan 29 15:17:19 EST 2010

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010, Brian Fitzgerald wrote:

> Last I looked, DHCPv6 isn't implemented on Windows XP, Vista, or Server2003,
> nor on Mac OSX up to 10.6.  Don't know about Win7, but the Server2008 DHCP
> server DOES include IPv6, so it may be there.

Both Vista and Win7 can live in a purely native ipv6 environemnt without
any ipv4, get DNS-server and IP via DHCPv6, and also get prefixes for
"Internet Connection Sharing" via DHCPv6-PD.

It doesn't null route the prefix it gets via PD (thus routing loop if you
give it anything larger than /64), but that's another story. I have
reported this to people in MS, don't know if there is a fix brewing
somewhere. Haven't tested this in Win7, only Vista.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se