[c-nsp] APS issue on Cisco 7204VXR-NPE-G1

Samit janasamit at wlink.com.np
Sat Jan 30 09:46:17 EST 2010

Hi,

I am trying to configure the APS on the same router with my provider
mux. I have Cisco 7204vxr with dual  PA-POS-OC3SMI interface and using
c7200-p-mz.124-25b.bin image. My provider has provided me two STM-1 for
redundancy from their mux.

When primary link goes down it switches back to secondary without any
issue, but when primary link comes back again and after 1 min when the
link revert to primary it doesn't work ie the link doesn't switch back
to primary and traffic stuck due to primary link continues flap.

Jan 30 20:11:28.637 NP: APS POS3/0: aps_resend_current_k1k2
Jan 30 20:11:29.641 NP: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface
POS3/0, changed state to down
Jan 30 20:11:39.638 NP: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface
POS3/0, changed state to up
Jan 30 20:11:58.638 NP: APS POS3/0: aps_resend_current_k1k2
Jan 30 20:11:59.642 NP: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface
POS3/0, changed state to down
Jan 30 20:12:09.638 NP: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface
POS3/0, changed state to up

The primary link doesn't comes up until, the secondary interface was
manually is "shut" and "no shut" or its fiber cable was unplugged and
plugged.

After some debugging and show aps output comparison the only thing I had
noticed that APS gives indication in the log that link state
administratively down along with line protocol down under normal condition.

Jan 30 20:13:21.322 NP: %ENTITY_ALARM-6-INFO: ASSERT INFO PO4/0 Physical
Port Administrative State Down

But when then the link switch back to primary it doesn't shows the
Administratively Down State log indication.

It seems to me that APS is not putting the secondary link to "Complete
Administrative Down State" and "Alarm Indicate Signal - Line LAIS " was
not send back to provider MUX during the APS revert switch back process
from secondary to primary. The reason why the primary link doesn't comes
up until, the secondary interface was manually is "shut" and "no shut"
or its fiber cable was unplugged and plugged, or am I missing something?

this is my config:

interface Loopback0
 ip address 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.255
!
interface POS3/0
 description PRIMARY STM-1
 ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.252
 no ip redirects
 no ip unreachables
 no ip proxy-arp
 no ip mroute-cache
 load-interval 30
 pos ais-shut
 aps working 1
 no cdp enable
end

interface POS4/0
 description STM-1 SECONDARY/PROTECTED STM-1
 ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.252
 no ip redirects
 no ip unreachables
 no ip proxy-arp