[c-nsp] Nexus 2000 vs Catalyst 4948 for access layer

scott owens scottowens12 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 18:56:04 EST 2010

>   1. Re: Nexus 2000 vs Catalyst 4948 for access layer
>      (chris at lavin-llc.com)
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 14:16:59 -0500
> From: chris at lavin-llc.com
> To: "Nick Hilliard" <nick at inex.ie>
> Cc: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
> Subject: Re: [c-nsp] Nexus 2000 vs Catalyst 4948 for access layer
>
> > wrt NX-OS vs. IOS, they are two different systems.  NX-OS is very young
> in
> > its development cycle; IOS is much more mature and has many more
> features.
> >
> > Nick
>

> I'm curious why you suggest that the NX-OS is very young. My understanding
> (I'm not a SAN guy) is that the NX-OS is just a move of bringing the MDS
> OS into a routing/switching combination with IOS.
>
> I had the recent experience of a Nexus CPOC down in RTP. Going into it I
> was apprehensive about learning a new OS. But through the CPOC I learned
> that it's not that much different from IOS. Seemed like they did a decent
> job of importing/aliasing the IOS related commands. I didn't feel as lost
> within the CLI as I had expected.
>
> -chris

We have about a dozen 2148Ts connected to 4 Nexus 5Ks and a couple of 7Ks

I would absolutely NOT pick the 2148Ts for just switching unless you had
some larger data center needs; they and their "parent" 5Ks don't route ..
.so we do some ( and we wanted to) vlan tagging on servers to bypass
routing.

I will say that "show log last 20" is worth every penny :)

They are stable if you hook them up right - currently you can not do
active/active with a FEX connected to multiple 5Ks & do LACP teaming to
servers.

Got question  - shoot them on over ...