[c-nsp] 10GE WAN options for 7606 for market data / micro-bursting

Pavel Skovajsa pavel.skovajsa at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 12:59:52 EST 2010

The WS-X6704-10GE has:
- Xenpacks
- only 16MB buffers per port compared to 200MB on WS-X6708
- is about 5 years old. I remember this was the first 10G card we used
in 6500 back in 2005/6
- traditionally targeted for LAN and DC segment with simple/none QoS
-> hence the QoS implementation is simple based on WRR - see
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Video/tpqoscampus.html#wp1072698
- needs a DFC card for ingress 8q8t - see
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Video/tpqoscampus.html#wp1072698

Therefore a much better alternative is WS-X6708 or even WS-X6716.
However bare in mind that these are also "LAN" cards therefore might
not suite your QoS needs. For general QoS architecture on C6500 see
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/prod_white_paper0900aecd803e5269.html.

Cisco quickly found out that you cannot do much "sophisticated" stuff
with cards above and came with ES product line for service provider
segment - which is the ES20 and newer ES+
(http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Video/tpqoscampus.html#wp1072698).

Hope it helps,
-Pavel