[c-nsp] 10GE WAN options for 7606 for market data / micro-bursting

Rob Shakir rjs at eng.gxn.net
Sat Jan 30 17:04:53 EST 2010

On 30 Jan 2010, at 17:59, Pavel Skovajsa wrote:
> Cisco quickly found out that you cannot do much "sophisticated" stuff
> with cards above and came with ES product line for service provider
> segment - which is the ES20 and newer ES+
> (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Video/tpqoscampus.html#wp1072698).

If you are going to spend the money on ES, a few words of warning about ES-20. It is very limited in terms of what the card can actually do in terms of QoS (for example, there's no tuneable Tc for any policy) - additionally, everything needs to be under a class-default on sub-interfaces for example. We found that this has severely limited a number of QoS deployments that we've tried to do.

SIP-400 is actually better than ES-20 - I'd look at ES+20/ES+40 for your requirements. LAN cards don't seem the best way to go if you need such strict control.

However, I'd put together a strict statement of requirements and get Cisco to demonstrate that the card meets your demands before you go forward. The 7600 platform can have a nasty habit of biting you back.

I can probably share more details of the ES off-list if you need them!

Cheers,
Rob

--
Rob Shakir                      <rjs at eng.gxn.net>
Network Development Engineer    GX Networks/Vialtus Solutions

This email is subject to: http://www.vialtus.com/disclaimer.html