[c-nsp] smaller PI

Bøvre Jon Harald Jon.Harald.Bovre at hafslund.no
Thu Jul 1 12:50:54 EDT 2010

Snapshot of one of our internet routers recieving full IPv4 (/24 limit) and full IPv6 routing:
Cisco 7604, SUP720-3BXL

L3 Forwarding Resources
 Module              FIB TCAM usage:                     Total        Used     %Used
   1                     72 bits (IPv4, MPLS, EoM)      524288      319732     61%
                        144 bits (IP mcast, IPv6)      262144         3008      1%

                     detail:      Protocol                    Used       %Used
                                  IPv4                      319732         61%
                                  MPLS                           0          0%
                                  EoM                            0          0%

                                  IPv6                        3002          1%
                                  IPv4 mcast                     3          1%
                                  IPv6 mcast                     3          1%

1: What would be the increase in usage of IPv4 TCAM if we increased to accept /27? Additional 20k - 50 k prefix?
2: At how many prefix will we start getting trouble? (Remember one old SUP720,3B partitioned for 239k IPv4 started getting problems at approx. 210k prefixes)
I do not expect this hardware to handle 524k prefixes.

 Expect routing table to be even more fragmented in the future and believe it is better to leve room for growth in /8-/24, dropping /25 ->

Jon Harald Bøvre