[c-nsp] smaller PI

Łukasz Bromirski lukasz at bromirski.net
Thu Jul 1 14:19:07 EDT 2010

On 2010-07-01 18:50, Bøvre Jon Harald wrote:

>  1     72 bits (IPv4, MPLS, EoM)      524288      319732     61%
>        144 bits (IP mcast, IPv6)      262144         3008      1%

> 1: What would be the increase in usage of IPv4 TCAM if we increased
 >    to accept /27? Additional 20k - 50 k prefix?

The global BGP view carries around 330k prefixes, so no, not that
much. Around 10k more.

> 2: At how many prefix will we start getting trouble? (Remember one
 > old SUP720,3B partitioned for 239k IPv4 started getting problems
 > at approx. 210k prefixes)

That was just a warning, set by default at 90% or so range, that you're
approaching the limit. You may start to get problems at full TCAMs.

> I do not expect this hardware to handle 524k prefixes.

Why? First of all, if You're not handling IP multicasts and IPv6 that
much, repartition when the 330k IPv4 becomes 500k IPv4.

> Expect routing table to be even more fragmented in the future and
 > believe it is better to leve room for growth in /8-/24, dropping /25 ->

Filtring on minimal RIR allocations is fine, but again, with this
hardware, you're yet to reach its limits.

--
"Everything will be okay in the end.  |                 Łukasz Bromirski
  If it's not okay, it's not the end." |      http://lukasz.bromirski.net