[c-nsp] [rancid] Cisco L2tp class with password and rancid

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Wed Jul 7 01:14:01 EDT 2010

Mon, Jul 05, 2010 at 06:49:04PM +0100, Alan Buxey:
> Hi,
>
> > > I have an issue when I configure a l2tp-class with a password in it, every
> > > time I do a "sho run" the level 7 encrypted password is shown differently.
> > > When using Rancid for config backups, every time Rancid runs I receive a
> > > complaint my config has "changed".
>
> I've had this issue with several devices and its been fixed by cisco.
>
> recently, however, have had the same with the level 7 password
> for energywise.  the 'fix' is to not have it encrypted in the config
> and save it as plain text (level 0) - thats not acceptable.  you'll
> have to do what i did - reconfigure rancid to ignore that value.

if you provide examples of these config lines, l2tp and energywise,
i'll provide a hack to filter them within rancid.

they should, however, not change in the config and you should complain
to cisco to get it fixed so that you can have them archived by rancid
without the oscillating.