[c-nsp] Routers doesn't accept Auto-RP packets

Geert Nijs geert.nijs at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 12:06:32 EDT 2010

Hi all,

We have a very strange problem on a C6500 running 12.2(33)SXH4
We are using Auto-RP for Rendez-vous point distribution and this is working
fine, only on one switch the
RP-discovery packet is ignored. See message below from "debug ip pim
auto-rp"

Auto-RP(0): Received RP-discovery, from 10.96.24.4, ignored
Auto-RP(0): Received RP-discovery, from 10.96.0.1, ignored

I have no idea why this packets is 'ignored'. The system itself is a mapping
agent (for other ranges), but that should not
prevent it from accepting other RP-discovery packets.
I have checked RPF failures. The routing table is correct so their should
not be a problem here.
Below is the MC configuration (without ip pim on interfaces):

no ip pim dm-fallback
ip pim autorp listener
ip pim send-rp-announce Loopback100 scope 15 group-list SITE-RP
ip pim send-rp-discovery Loopback0 scope 15
ip pim rp-announce-filter rp-list RPS
ip pim accept-register list ALLOWED-MC-SOURCES

What i have noticed is the following:
from the moment that i remove "ip pim send-rp-discovery Loopback0 scope 15"
(mapping agent), the switch accepts
the received update. When i put it in -> doesn't accept the update again.
Very strange.

regards,
Geert