[c-nsp] Cisco L2tpv3

Anthony V. Daroqui adaroqui at coherecomm.com
Fri Jul 9 15:54:46 EDT 2010

Hi, I am currently trying to provide one of our clients a vlan over a PPP link as per their request of only a layer 2 connection.
The connection would be like 3750g <--> 7200 <--> 1841 where the 7200 and 1841 is a ppp link. In doing some research, we found L2TPv3 to be a viable option. However, I am having trouble keeping the tunnel up and sending traffic over it.

At the moment I am trying to configure only a simple layer 2 tunnel on test devices: 2 1841 routers, Version 12.4(15)T12, Advanced Services.

I am currently using these 2 sites as reference: http://prakashkalsaria.wordpress.com/2010/05/11/l2tpv3-over-hdlc-l2tpv3-over-ppp/, http://www.informit.com/library/content.aspx?b=Troubleshooting_VPNs&seqNum=44

On the other hand I was  also recently informed that there may be too much overhead in a layer 2 tunnel.  If that is the case, what is the more viable option for this setup?

I have attached the debug output from the tunnels as well. Any assistance would be appreciated.