[c-nsp] PFC for iSCSI on Nexus

Lincoln Dale ltd at cisco.com
Sat Jul 10 01:22:11 EDT 2010

Tom,

iSCSI runs atop of TCP.  generally speaking, the TCP state machine uses packet drop (lost segments) to tune its transmit rate to the capabilities of the network end-to-end.

PFC will essentially provide a no-drop environment which while in face value may seem to be beneficial in reality it will impair the "goodput" that is possible with many TCP stacks.
TCP is not really tuned for situations where there is no-drop but variable latency as a result of PFC.

where PFC is likely to be beneficial is if you are using a storage protocol which is not based on TCP.  e.g. NFS with UDP.

cheers,

lincoln.