[c-nsp] Brief CPU spikes on 6500 Sup 720

Aaron Riemer ariemer at amnet.net.au
Wed Jul 14 06:30:05 EDT 2010

Hi Group,

We are having trouble with unicast flooding on a particular VLAN and
associated ports and as a result brief spikes in CPU usage on one of our
6509 core switches.

ARP and MAC timeouts are set to default and we haven't had problems with
this in the past. The problem is I believe this is causing brief 100% spikes
within the SP or RP and as a result brief connectivity outages.

We have narrowed down the source of the unicast flooding but we need to know
why it is occurring.

Has anyone experienced this in the past? Could unicast flooding over
multiple interfaces account for this kind of behaviour?

Thanks,

Aaron.