[c-nsp] 3560G-E's as replacement for 3550-EMIs for dist switches?

Matthias Müller cnsp at matthias-mueller.net
Wed Jul 14 13:48:15 EDT 2010

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 09:41:18 -0500
TCIS List Acct <listacct at tulsaconnect.com> wrote:
> Anyway, these switches are EOL'ed and do not support IPv6, yada yada.  So, we're
> looking for a reasonably low cost replacement.  So far, the 3560G-24/48-E's look
> like decent replacements and are readily available from our usual sources.  The
> 3750's look nice too but seem quite a bit pricier for just adding stacking/10GBe
> uplink capabilities.

The 3560G are severly limited regarding buffer capacity so you'll soon encounter packet loss if you have microburst. I'd suggest a try & buy or an extensive test with these boxes to evaluate wether they meet your traffic pattern. We've seen output drops on these switches on the uplinks (2x1G portchannel) starting at 400mbit/s in some parts of our network where microbursts occur a lot.
So ask for advice regarding feature sets (like ipv6 support) here, but always test in your production network before you commit buying ;-)

Matthias