[c-nsp] Router to push 622Mbps

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sat Jul 17 14:00:15 EDT 2010

On Friday 16 July 2010 07:55:53 am roy wrote:

> I should have also specified about 7 full feeds
>  distributed between them. So, more or less, each would
>  be taking only ~5 full max. Will NPE-G100 be as much as
>  an option vs NSE-100?

I've tested an NPE-G2 with about 7 full feeds in the past
(when the boards had just launched). It got a little slow,
but was usable. That was pre-SR* days, so...

> Although the consensus goes to ASR1K, are there any
>  equivalent vendorJ/vendorH as alternatives
>  price-to-performance-wise (M7i/M10i)?

The M7i/M10i aren't equal comparisons when it comes to the
ASR1000, although, I should say, product-for-product, it's
what's on the boards from Juniper.

If Ethernet is what you're really playing for, consider
Juniper's MX80. If you need something with a little hardware
redundancy too (power, fans, control planes), you'll
certainly be looking at something bigger from Juniper. That
may skew things, somewhat.

Until Juniper can release a box targeted directly at the
ASR1000 line, the M7i/M10i would be the most obvious choice,
if that platform's age isn't an issue.

Cheers,

Mark.