[c-nsp] Failover VPN and EIGRP

Christopher J. Wargaski wargo1 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 10:32:53 EDT 2010

Greetings--

I am working on a project that has two data centers(DC) A and B which
are connected via a high-speed point to point connection. About 100
remote offices connect via an IPsec VPN to a router at DC A. There is
an identical router at DC B for failover purposes. We redistribute
static routes for the remote offices into EIGRP at DC A and it is
propagated to DC B.

In case the router at the DC A fails, the EIGRP routes are deselected
and high cost static routes direct traffic bound for the remote
offices out the router at DC B. The remote locations use the router at
DC B as the secondary peer for the VPN.

We want to be able to automatically sense when the Internet circuit at
DC A fails so we can also route traffic to the remote offices out the
DC B router. (If the Internet circuit fails, both interfaces of the DC
A router will be up.)

Are there any suggestions on how I can accomplish this?

cjw