[c-nsp] QoS Options for PPPoE over Ethernet

Dave Weis djweis at internetsolver.com
Tue Jul 20 19:02:28 EDT 2010

I'm not finding a lot of good options to do QoS for PPPoE over Ethernet (as opposed to ATM) subscribers. We have varying speeds for the subscribers ranging from 256k to 40m so I can't use a hard coded amount to reserve for voice. In addition, some customers have a single port ATA and some will have 6-10 lines on an IAD.

The setup has a single VLAN per DSLAM as a subinterface on a gig-E port in a 7200 VXR. Some of the newer equipment will obey 802.1p but the majority of our equipment does not.

The authentication comes out of freeradius and the approximate downstream rate of each subscriber is recorded in the same table as the username/password so if I had to make static definitions for each speed tier I could do that.

I don't need to do anything elaborate other than move any traffic to or from a specific subnet to the front of the queue.

Thanks for any help
Dave

--
Dave Weis
515-224-9229
djweis at internetsolver.com
http://www.internetsolver.com/
Please check out our Complete Support Service
http://www.internetsolver.com/completesupport/