[c-nsp] pop site battery backup recommendations

Mike mike-cisconsplist at tiedyenetworks.com
Thu Jul 22 11:45:31 EDT 2010

Howdy,

    This isn't exactly cisco-centric, but it's certainly related
operationally.

    I operate a county wide isp network and I have about 15 different
pops. I equip each with APC700/1400's and with XR battery packs, with
the goal being around 8 hours of runtime in the event of a power
failure. I also aggressively monitor batteries and have situational
awareness regarding the self test status, maintenance status, and during
ac power failures whats up and down and how much runtime the pops have
and so forth.

    Over the last 8 years I have been doing this, the single greatest
source of pop site outages, has been the battery backup units
themselves. I have experienced multiple repeated failures involving the
SNMP management cards that have:

    a) went berserk and flooded the network with garbage
    b) issued spurious "turn off ups" commands to the ups
    c) began automated self test cycles that shut off the ups (even when
self-test is disabled!)

    I further have experienced UPSs that for whatever reason, did not
switchover during an outage, or did not provide sufficient filtering and
allowing connected (and supposedly protected) devices to get zapped and
either fry outright or lockup, or vary in their output voltage too much
during a failure causing lockups/outages due to 'over voltage'. They've
also failed to restart once AC power came back on, requiring staff to
drive out and press a button.  I've also had units that religiously run
their self-tests but then fail during an actual ac power outage. In
short, I have seen it all.

    To their credit, I have experienced many many cases of ac power
failure that these units did gaurd against and provide enough runtime
for either local power company repair response or for our own internal
response to come install a generator. But the continuing saga of the
UPSs themselves causing outages, is really beginning to wear on me and I
am looking for a better and more intelligent solution.

     I think what I need, is an online ups solution as opposed to the
APC's we have been deploying. My wants are reliable operation, 1000 -
1500va, expandable battery capacity, simple remote network monitoring,
and reasonable cost of course (;-). My team is frustrated and is
threating to design and manufacture our own brand of UPS's if the market
doesn't have anything that gets it right, but surely there's got to be
something out there folks can trust and I want to know what it is.

Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

Mike-